USED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS AS AN INCENSE IN SACRED CEREMONIES, THIS AMAZING PLANT’S RESIN CAN BE USED FOR MANY DIFFERENT MEDICINAL PURPOSES AS WELL; FROM SKIN HEALING AND WRINKLE PREVENTION, TO INFLAMMATION AND TISSUE REPAIR, THIS MAY BE WHY IT WAS CONSIDERED SACRED.
Frankincense, along with gold and myrrh, is one of the gifts given to the infant Christ at his birth. It has been burned as incense during ceremonies dating back to the ancient Egyptians who burning it in honor of the Sun God Ra. It’s smell has been said to clear the mind.
As an essential oil, it is often used in perfumes, skin creams, and serums as it has been shown to help prevent wrinkles.
Topically it can also be used as an astringent and antiseptic for wounds; it helps to tighten and heal inflamed mucous membranes. It is especially helpful as a mouthwash or gargle for sore throats, laryngitis, canker sores, and gum disease.
Internally it is markedly anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic and is used in many internal formulas for these issues with great success at helping reduce pain and inflammation.
MATERIA MEDICA: FRANKINCENSE/BOSWELLIA
Latin Name: Boswellia sacra (synonym B. carteri), B. thurifera
Family: Burseraceae (Frankincense or Balsam Family)
Parts Used: Resin
Preparation & Dosage:
- For the skin- diluted with a carrier oil and applied either directly to the skin or mixed into a cream and then applied daily to the skin for wrinkle protection.
- As an antiseptic wash – Diluted into witch hazel, alcohol, or rubbing alcohol and used topically on wounds to help heal and prevent infection
- As a mouthwash – diluted into an organic alcohol and mixed with other herbs for a daily mouthwash
- Internally: 2-9g/day of dried resin, tablet, or capsule, 600-1200mg/day of standardized extract to 60% boswellic acids*
- *Dosage information from The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety by Simon Mills and Kerry Bone.
Energetics: pungent, bitter, warm, dry
Actions: Alterative, anti catarrhal, anti depressant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aromatic, diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, immune stimulant, nervine, rejuvenative
- Increase Circulation
- Inflammation, particularly of mucous membranes
- Delayed Menses
- Mouth Ulcers
- Wound healing
- Wrinkle Prevention
- Scar prevention
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Internally, frankincense should only be used for a short period.
- An overdose can cause nausea and vomiting.
Learn even more with the Monographs inside the Herbarium
Some of the products we have with Frankincense in it:
- Rocky Mountain Recovery Serum – Frankincense and several other skin-protection oils combine in this wonderful daily moisturizer for every-one’s skin health
- Eye Queen Eye Cream – infused with frankincese for improving the skin around your eyes
- Anti-Aging Herbal Cleanser
- Frankincense Essential Oil – want to mix it yourself? We have small bottles of Frankincense undiluted for sale
- Frankincense Hydrosol – perfect for skin care use
- Frankincense Resin for infusing or burning as incense