With the rise in popularity of essential oils, as well as the increased attention to the ancient healing modality of working with our chakras, we thought it would be a great time to focus on some of our most popular products, our Chakra Essence Sprays and Perfume Rollers, and tell you more about what is in them and why.
Many traditional healing practices talk of the chakras, energy centers that are a part of our etheric/energy bodies that can influence all things in our life, from our health to our emotions. According to tradition, when these energy centers are out of balance, either too open or too closed off, we can experience imbalances in our life.
Each chakra governs different aspects of our beings, and thus when not in alignment with each other, those aspects of our life will be off. By learning more about the associations of each individual chakra, we can discern if there are things in our own life that may point to that particular chakra being mis-aligned, and thus can work on correcting the imbalances by actively seeking herbs, essential oils, and other healing practices that activate that particular chakra.
Last month we covered the third chakra, the Solar Plexus Chakra, so this month is all about the third chakra:
THE HEART CHAKRA
The Heart chakra, called anahata in Sanskrit means “unstuck” or “unbeaten”
The heart chakra is the meeting place of all the other chakras, the connection between the lower more ‘primal’ or physical chakras and the three ‘higher’ more ethereal/mental chakras.
It is the connection place of the self.
According to many different energy healing systems, the heart chakra is where all of the meridians in the body converge, making it the power center of the body.
When the heart chakra is in balance a person will feel physically and emotionally balanced, embody the qualities of nurturing, compassion, empathy, friendliness, be active in the community, have a discriminating mind, be a humanitarian, be able to see good on others, be able to surrender in a love relationship, and have healthy use of will power.
When the heart chakra is deficient a person may be paranoid, indecisive, have a fear of letting go, a fear of being hurt, a fear of being free, a fear of being abandoned, have feelings of unworthiness in love, and in need of constant reassurance.
When the heart chakra has excessive energy a person may be demanding, be overly critical, possessive, moody, have a martyr complex, may love conditionally, withhold love or generosity, be melodramatic, manic depressive, and possibly experience hyper-tension (especially tension between shoulder blades).
The main words associated with the heart chakra are “I Feel” and “I Love”.
Our heart chakras are often the most complicated and difficult one’s to maintain balance in. Partially because they are so delicate, humans have a tendency to protect their hearts and keep them closed off. Alternately, most humans have a strong desire to feel love and will sometimes leave their hearts too open and risk being hurt.
Swinging between these two extremes, even on a daily basis, is not uncommon, which is why having allies to help maintain balance within our own hearts is often a crucial component of someone’s healing journey.
When the heart is unbalanced, the whole system will suffer.
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
Jasmine – an exquisitely floral aroma that has long been associated with love and sensuality, jasmine reminds us to be soft and open.
Lavender – one of the world’s favorite essential oils, lavender is calming, relaxing, uplifting, and loved by many. It’s ability to help reduce stress and anxiety make it perfect for the heart as this is often where stress and anxiety both originate from and settle.
Rose – the ultimate embodiment of the heart chakra, it’s beautiful and delicate blossoms offer a world of softness and possibilities if only you can get past the thorns. If one takes a gentle approach and moves with caution and care, you can reach the blossoms and escape harm. But woe to the person who rushes into a rose bush without mindfulness for they will feel the sting.
GEM ESSENCES FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
Chrysoprase – helps bring the heart chakra and the subtle bodies into harmonious union with the heart chakra of the Earth; develops the green, earthly dimension of the heart center; helps us accept the Earth as our home.
Chyrsocolla – connects the heart chakra to the loving energy of the Earth; softens, opens and expands the inner dimensions of the heart chakra; increases flexibility and openness in the heart, mind and body to allow the vibration of love to flow; helps one experience the heart as a safe place to be.
Covelite – brings strength, clarity and definition to the auric field; acts as a protective filter that encourages us to relax energetically, especially in the heart chakra area, thereby enhancing our ability to receive love and support from the environment.
Emerald – a universal heart cleanser and balancer; gently opens the heart to the unconditional love and nurturing of the Divine Mother; helps the heart become receptive to the highest qualities of the Divine feminine.
Jadeite Jade – calming and centering; an enfolding vibration of peace, balance, and timeless simplicity; helps us live in the moment, in our center, with an awareness and acceptance of our true and essential selves
Montana Rhodochrosite – brings strength and solidity to the heart chakra; restores wholeness to the heart after an experience of great pain and suffering; clears distortion, fear, confusion and chaos from the heart; clarifies intent and promotes courageous, heart-centered action
Green Aventurine – strengthens the central vertical axis which stabilizes us during expansion experiences; provides an energetic support structure that helps us move into and through new experiences with grace, stamina and perseverance; good for spiritual trailblazers and pioneers.
Here are some others you can work with:
Amazonite – improving the flow of emotional communication through the heart
Blue Green Tourmaline – clears, expands, and aligns the heart chakra with the higher self
Green Tourmaline – opening the heart to a greater flow of creative giving
Kunzite – developing the pink, spiritual dimension of the heart chakra
Mango Calcite – increasing energy, balance, and stability in the heart chakra
Pink Quartz – releasing pain and sadness held deeply in the heart
Rose Quartz – increasing energy, balance, and stability in the heart chakra
Smoky Quartz – releasing pain and sadness held deeply in the heart
Watermelon Tourmaline – increasing energy, balance, and stability in the heart chakra
Our Chakra Sprays and Perfume rollers contain all of the above essences and essential oils and are the perfect way to work with your sacral chakra. We love using them in meditation, before or during a yoga class, or at any point during the day to help keep us feeling connected to our own heart space so we can love ourselves first and foremost, and then be able to love others.
HERBS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
Since the heart governs the rest of the body, including herbs that work with the heart in any herbal formula can help to bring balance to the person and help them to integrate the rest of the herbs throughout their whole body.
Some of our favorite energetic heart herbs to include are
- rose – the ultimate energetic heart herb, rose will help bring in self-love by opening and softening the heart but also reminding one to maintain the necessary thorns to keep it safe
- lavender – softening in all ways, lavender brings peace to the heart, mind, and soul
- white peony – also a soft opening herb, the energy of this plant helps you to be open and receptive
- hawthorn leaf & flower and berries – similar to rose, the hawthorn plant has it’s thorns and will stick you if you aren’t careful, but once you get past, it offers a sweetness and powerful protective qualities that are unmatched. The anti-oxidant powerhouse berries are known to be beneficial for any heart condition.
- motherwort – the latin name of this plant means Lion Hearted, which is exactly the energy this herb imparts. It’s perfect for strengthening and protecting a wounded heart.
- lemon balm – one of our favorite herbs for the nervous system, lemon balm is uplifting and brightening and helps to dispel ‘darkness’ in the heart
- vervain – an herbalist once said that vervain is for when you feel your blood is about to boil and you feel as though you could take the head off the next person who says a word to you, which makes it perfect for the intense, angry, and overly energetic heart space.
- yarrow – another one of our ‘warrior’ herbs, yarrow gives strength and resolve as well as offers protective energy to anyone who uses it.
These herbs will also have a physical effect on the body so it’s always a good idea to check if they are right for you and any particular medications you may be taking or health issues you are experiencing. Most of them are also available as flower essences which do not have any physical effects and thus are safe for all people.
Some other herbs that are known to be helpful for the circulatory system will also move through the heart both physically and energetically and can also be helpful in many different situations pertaining to the heart
Herbs such as:
- ginger – an excellent circulatory stimulant, this warming herb can help warm the heart
- cinnamon – similar to ginger but more sweet and less spicy, cinnamon is excellent for improving circulation and adding sweetness to your life
- Hibiscus – high in anti-oxidants and known to be good for blood pressure, hibiscus is a cooling herb and can help cool and overly ‘hot’ heart
- garlic – well known for its cardio-protective qualities, it’s not far fetched to say everyone should be eating garlic on a daily basis
- cayenne – very stimulating and warming, cayenne is a strong circulatory stimulant and can spice up any situation
- rhodiola – this herb tastes like roses smell and is known to increase cardiac output and increase energy in the body
- eleuthero – another energy herb, eleuthero is more gentle than rhodiola but still stimulating
- rosemary – a favorite circulatory herb, rosemary’s latin name means ‘rose of the sea’, pointing to its ability to work with the heart as well as improve the memory.
Our Heart-Full tea is an excellent blend to start with for any matters of the heart.
FOODS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
The heart chakra is often associated with two colors, the color green and the color pink, so most foods that are these colors could be beneficial for the heart.
The more food-like herbs such as ginger, garlic, turmeric, beets, rose hips, hawthorn berries, schizandra berries, and of course chocolate are all excellent to use for both the physical and energetic heart.
HERE ARE A FEW RECIPES FOR THE HEART CHAKRA.
Vegan Key Lime Pie Protein Smoothie
If you’re looking for a mouthwatering key lime pie recipe that isn’t full of sugar and calories – and one that is dairy-free – this Vegan Key Lime Pie Protein Smoothie is the way to go.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup ice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 scoop Vanilla Vegan Shakeology
- 1 scoop Power Greens (this makes it green!)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime peel (lime zest)
- 1. Place almond milk, ice, lime juice, Shakeology, Power green, maple syrup, and lime peel in blender; cover.
- 2. Blend until smooth.
Hibiscus Rosewater Tonic (from Chakra Tonics)
- 1 tsp. dried ginger (or 1tbsp fresh)
- 2 tbsp hibiscus flowers
- 2 tsp hawthorn berries
- 1/2 tsp rosewater
- 3 cups purified water
- 1-3 tsp honey if desired
1. Bring water to a boil, add herbs, cover, then turn off heat
2. Allow to steep for 15-20 minutes
3. Strain out the herbs
4. Add the rosewater and honey
5. Serve warm or over ice.
Since chocolate is a well-known heart herb and loved by many, we adore making herbal chocolate truffles, especially ones that also include heart-centered herbs.
The options for this are truly endless, you can pick and choose any herbs to use when making your own, this is just a suggestion for one’s we think would taste nice, so give it a try then experiment with what sounds good to you.
There are also endless options for making the truffles themselves, this just happens to be an easy way to do it.
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (plus more for rolling)
- 1 tsp. hawthorn berries (powdered in your coffee grinder)
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp rose petals (powdered)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2-3 Tbsp. raw honey
1. Melt the cacao butter by placing it into a heatproof bowl above a pot of boiling water (effectively making your own double boiler).
2. Once melted stir in the cacao, herbs, and honey until well combined.
3. Pop the bowl in the fridge for a couple of minutes so that mixture gets firm enough to handle.
4. Remove a heaping teaspoon of the chocolate mixture out of the bowl and roll into a ball in more cocoa powder on a smooth surface.
5. Chill for 15 minutes before serving.
6. Keep truffles stored in the fridge in an airtight container and eat one as often as you’d like.
Warming Herbal Truffles – from the Herbal Academy
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maca powder
- ¼ cup turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons damiana powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon rosemary powder
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- ½ tablespoon black pepper finely ground
- 3/4 cup tahini or almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut shreds or black sesame seeds to roll balls in
2. By hand or with an electric mixer, slowly add powdered herbs to the nut butter and syrup mixture.
3. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and then roll in coconut shreds or sesame seeds.
4. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator—refrigeration will give the truffles a firmer texture.
5. Enjoy 1-3 truffles per day.
All of the suggestions above are perfect ways to start working on aligning your heart chakra so you feel more calm, stable, balanced, grounded, and centered in the world as you go about your daily life.
If you give any of them a try, or have a favorite option please let us know, we love hearing from you, and be sure to check back next month for the Throat Chakra.
- Chakra Tonics – Elise Collins
- Caroline Myss’s Free Chakra info
- Chakra Synopsis
- Balancing the Heart Chakra from the Herbarium
- Heart Chakra Essential Oils
- Alaskan Gem Essences
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.Those seeking treatment for a specific disease should consult a qualified practitioner.